Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cardamom Peach Pie Filling

Peach Pie Filling

Dear Georgia,

I came to you two years(-ish) ago. You truly are a delight. So lush and green. Such delicious food. Such lovely shops and farmers markets. Perfectly cold in the winter. Perfectly warm in the summer. But just recently, Georgia, you were 106 degrees. Recently, you've reminded me of a moister Texas summer. Sort of like a sauna. I don't like saunas. Please return to normal. I'll love you forever.

Love,
Natasha

PS: Thanks for the peaches. I'll always love you for that.

Peach Pie Filling

If you are a cardamom lover, this is hands down the best peach pie filling there is. It tastes like summer. I rolled it up in yeast dough and made some killer breakfast rolls with it. Then I made some individual crisps with it (not the prettiest desserts, but still delicious). Then I finished off the last of the jar by shamefully tilting it back and tapping it into my mouth...

Cardamom Peach Pie Filling
(makes about 1 quart)

4 1/2 lbs ripe peaches, peeled*, pitted, and sliced
75 g granulated sugar
75 g light brown sugar
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cardamom
pinch ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
3 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch

Put all the ingredients except the water and cornstarch in a large pot and stir together to combine. Place the over medium heat and bring to a boil.

In a small bowl, mix together the water and corn starch to make a slurry. Add to the peach mixture and continue cooking until mixture thickens. Cook slightly longer to be sure to cook off any starchy taste. Transfer to a quart jar or 2 pint jars, leaving a bit of space at the top. At this point, you can proceed with canning if that's your thing. Or keep it in the fridge for about a week.

*The easiest way to peel a peach is to bring a large pot of water to a boil then drop each peach in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove to a bowl of ice water. Then cut a line in the skin at the bottom of the peach, and the skin should peel off easily.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty lazy and prefer to peel my peaches with a serrated peeler! Also the peach skins make a lovely simple syrup boiled with some sugar and water and then that makes an even lovelier cocktail. Cause you know I love a cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See and I thought I was being lazy doing the whole boiling thing. I hate peeling peaches with a peeler, but if it gives me a reason to make a cocktail, I'm game. Not that I ever need a reason to have a cocktail...

      Delete
  2. Both recipes sound amazing. The pie filling looks like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it would make an incredible jam too! I too love Georgia for it's peaches and it's pecans, but the heat lately has been pretty outrageous. I'd be happy if it would cool down just about 10 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo it would make a delicious jam! Well played.

      Delete