Friday, June 15, 2012

Bourbon Banana Nut Bread

See that bottom slice? It's soaking in bourbon glaze. It's going to be super-bourboned. In the best way.

Sometimes I just want something fulfilling and simple, like a fried egg or french fries or banana bread, ya know? Sometimes I also want bourbon. Who am I kidding, most times I want bourbon.

Actually, I always thought I was a gin kinda gal (see previous post... I quite clearly am), but I have learned that I also have a serious affection for bourbon. I've decided that bourbon is kind of like a dog--always makes you feel like you're awesome but can sometimes cause trouble. I like that. Plus, bourbon pairs really well with my favorite ginger beer, with my nerves, and now with my super ripe bananas.

At this point, I feel I should provide a disclaimer. I don't have to have alcoholic glaze with eeeverything I bake. It's just that, well, it's summaaatiiime. Gin and bourbon glazed desserts are totally allowed/encouraged in my book. Onward!
 
This bread is thick and moist and nutty and has lots of sexy quick bread crevices to capture that kick of bourbon glaze. It's breakfast, it's dessert, it's an after-work cocktail. These are beautiful things happening here.


Bourbon Banana Nut Bread
(adapted from My Baking Addiction)

For bread
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
3 Tbsp. bourbon (I used Bulleit)
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup nuts of your choice, chopped (I used a mixture of walnuts, pecans, and pine nuts)

For glaze
approx. 1/2 cup powdered sugar
approx. 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
approx. 2 Tbsp. bourbon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with a nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitting with the whisk attachment, beat butter on high until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sugar, and bananas and beat on medium speed for a few minutes. Add lemon juice and bourbon and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and mix on medium-low until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a tester inserted into the top center come out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.

While bread cools, whisk all ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl until combined. Adjust measurements as necessary to get desired consistency and taste. Drizzle over cooled loaf. Let glaze set then slice and wrap individually in plastic wrap or cover unsliced loaf with foil.

11 comments:

  1. this sounds delicious! I may need to drunkin my banana bread soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "drunkin my banana bread" might be the best way ever to refer to this bread! well put!

      Delete
  2. Funny - I like to get super-bourboned too, but my husband just calls it drunk. I wish I was this bread.

    how is it you said it? "You had me at bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks amazing! Love the bourbon in this recipe, really makes it special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Bourbon makes most things special for me!

      Delete
  4. Yum, and perfect I have 2 ripe bananas I gotta do something with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you what they always say, when you gotta do something, might as well add bourbon. Wait, people say that right?

      Delete
  5. bourbon + bananas. perfect combination. I made some banana bourbon cinnamon rolls last year. they were killer. I'm gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The glaze is definitely off... Added 3 tbsp of milk... Much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and I made this a couple days ago in a gluten free version and it was such a hit we're making it again today! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete