Monday, August 6, 2012

Champagne Grape and Sherry Cream Scones

DSC_0093-2

I've realized over the past couple of years that I am sort of a girly girl. And because I thought it'd be fun, and because I for some reason felt I needed to prove it, I was going to tell you about some of the girly things that I like. Then I started to list some of those things, and I had some realizations.

1. I like a lot of the same things that children like. I have, more than once, said to a friend's child: "I have a dress just like that!" [Note to self: owning a dress that is virtually identical to a dress owned by a child is, in most cases, not a good thing.]

2. I am, in fact, not a child. Hey self, you're 25. A year away from being a full on lawyer. From having a real life job thing. From having to pay back those loans. #nonchildthings For real.

3. I probably need to grow up, just a touch. Maybe it's time for more high heels and fewer Keds, more serious outfits and fewer flowery dresses. To trade in the straight across bangs for "grown-up" hair. I'm working on it. I just, ya know, like my Keds and my flowery dresses and my bangs. And, I mean, I'm responsible. I take care of my child (i.e., kitten). I complete all my work, pay all my bills on time, etc. And I own two suits!! Plus, I enjoy bourbon and coffee, which obviously helps my case... right? Let's go with yes.

Anyway, back to girly things like fluffy scones on flowery plates.

DSC_0078

I got some champagne grapes at the store a couple of days ago. They are lovely little things. Delightful bursts of flavor. I originally wanted to put them on top of a mound of pastry cream in the middle of a tartlet shell, but I thought I better chill out on the tartlet front.

I've been itching for scones lately, so I decided to make some with these cutie grapes!

DSC_0086

DSC_0088

The grapes were a beautifully sweet and delicate addition to these simple cream scones. I drizzled a sherry glaze over top, because I sort of have a thing for glazes/sauces/creams/etc. (as you can probably tell from my other posts). However, these scones are soft and moist and not overly sweet, and they really don't need a glaze at all. They are superb on their own.

And very adult like when paired with a cup of coffee.

DSC_0097-2

Champagne Grape Cream Scones
base cream scone recipe from America's Test Kitchen via Smitten Kitchen
makes approx. 8 scones

*Note: The dough is pretty wet due to the grapes, which are quite fragile. I added the grapes at the same time as the cream when I made these. In retrospect, I would instead toss the grapes with the flour mixture before stirring in the cream. [I have provided for that in the recipe below.] You could also try bringing the dough together first without adding the grapes, patting the dough flat, sprinkling grapes on top, folding the dough into thirds, patting it out again, and cutting scones out that way. I didn't fully think my method through when I made these, so if you try these, let me know how the other methods work for you! The wetness of the dough doesn't affect the taste or texture of the scone but does make the dough more difficult to work with and can result in a slightly lumpy scone (like mine). They will still taste amazing.

250 g all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and if dough too wet
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt
70 g butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3/4 cup champagne grapes (alternatively, you can use currants)
1 cup heavy cream

Position rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor, and give it 6, one second pulses. Sprinkle butter evenly over dry ingredients. Cover and give it 12, one second pulses. Alternatively, you can put ingredients in a large bowl and cut butter in with a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal with some larger chunks of butter.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Toss grapes into mixture until evenly distributed and coated with flour (*see note above). Stir in heavy cream with a rubber spatula or until dough begins to form. Dump dough and any extra bits to a lightly floured work surface bring together by hand just until it comes together into a rough, sticky ball. If the dough appears too wet, add a tablespoon or two of flour until dough is less wet but still sticky.

On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Dip biscuit cutter into flour and cut scones out until all the dough is used.

Place cut out dough on parchment lined baking sheet and bake until tops are golden, 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature as they are or with a little sprinkle of sugar. If using glaze, let cool before drizzling.

Scones are best eaten the day they are made but may be stored at room temperature for a day or two. However, they will be noticeably more moist the next day.

Sherry Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
approx. 2 Tbsp. sweet cream sherry (I used Harvey's Bristol Cream)

In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and 1 Tbsp. sherry. Whisk in more sherry until desired consistency is achieved. When scones are cool and while still on cooling rack, drizzle glaze over scones. Serve immediately or let sit until glaze has dried before storing.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I absolutely love your blog, so it was nice to see you stop by mine!

      Delete
  2. I totally forgot about Champagne grapes! I used to love those as a kid (probably because they were 'mini' grapes...loved anything mini :) The flavors in your scones sound fabulous! I've never seen a scone recipe like this, and I loveeee scones, those are always my favorite treats to pick up at the coffee shop, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are fantastic. I tend to love anything mini, even as an adult!

      Delete
  3. one of the few joys of being an adult is the ability to relive and retain some of your childhood in your off time. also, we are swamped in tiny grapes, and i love scones, so thank you forever and ever for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite comments yet. And I completely agree. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Living in Neverland forever! =D
    Glad I followed your litel knyght, this way I got to find about this wonderfull blog that feeds my passion!
    Oh, regarding the scones, how are they compared to the normal dry scones? I must try this recipe.
    Keep up with these so different recipes and beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you followed me over to my new space!!

      The scones are definitely moist and soft and not at all dry. Let me know how they turn out if you try them!

      Delete